Monday, December 29, 2008

Family Talent at Christmas Party

Saturday afternoon we had the Contreras Family Christmas Party. The event had been planned for this day so Aaron and his family could make it from Moscow but due to illness and road conditions they were not able to make it. The absence of Dad, Christine and Bernie was also felt.

(Abete with Korbyn-Russell's newest)Even with some missing,we managed to have a great day.



Kaeleb
Maria and Jeff (forgive him-caught him off guard)
Samantha and Emily
Beautiful Mother
After the fabulous meal of Hawaiian haystacks, we ventured into the primary room for a program. Jennie and Mom shared the song they sang for Woman at the Well.
Then each family was able to share their talents.
Or, the grand kids did.
Dreyson sang a song from Polar Express.
Mom and the girls sang a round.
Not knowing about the talent part of the day, before we joined in the primary room, I found Taron and asked him what we should do. Since the children were little we would sing It's Amazing each night. We have been singing this song for almost 10 years. Taron and I started practicing and Abete was there watching us. When we came to the chorus, he joined in with perfect harmony. I turned to him in surprise and joy. Who is this man?
We gathered the other two kids and went to a room to practice. As we sang together, I felt such joy as Abete looked at the children and then at me. Here was my family. The five of us singing a song I have sung for years alone. Maybe it is a song familiar to most, but to me, this song saved the kids and I when we found ourselves alone. I would sing it over the phone to the boys when they would be crying while with their dad until they could fall asleep. We have returned to this song to lift and sustain us. Now, I hear a new voice join our sound.
We all had a wonderful celebration. Some gifts don't come in packages.

1 comment:

Mom Moose said...

Looks like ya'll had an awesome time!!! We had Hawaiian Haystacks, too!!! Go figure :) Love Ya'll!