Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Taron's Quarter

The other night I was relaxing on the couch watching TV, Belle was already in bed and the boys were downstairs playing in their room. I could hear them wrestling and laughing, a sound I love to hear. Then I heard a whisper, "Let me tell her, wait" followed by "Shhh, don't say anything." Definitely not what I wanted to hear. Taron's faint voice starts with, "Mom, umm, we were playing and well... u mmmm..."

This is were a mother pauses. I had to take a breathe and then I said, "Taron, just tell me what happened."

"Mom, I had a quarter in my mouth" (OK, whenever your child starts a sentence like that, call it instinct but you already know how this story is going to end.) He continues, "Keaton and I were wrestling and he had me pinned (are you getting an idea) and when I went to tell him t get off...I swallowed the quarter."

Mother has two choices
  1. flip out, panic, call 911, ground them, ask dumb questions like, "What were you doing with a quarter in your mouth," and "what were you two doing wrestling with each other."
  2. pause for a moment as not to respond like #1, break a smile while looking directly at your son, start to laugh and tell him "well when you find a poop that doesn't want to flush, you probably found your quarter." Then you tell your son to join you on the couch, put your arms around him and then calmly talk about the possibilities of the quarter passing, comfort his fears and then pray nothing is perforated or blocked when it does

What an evening. Google was my best friend after that.

No comments: