Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thoughts on the Season




Each year the kids and I load in the car and drive around Chubbuck to view the beautifully decorated homes. Last night we made our yearly pilgrimage. Listening to them, as we approach the lighted homes, makes me smile. Their spirits are pure and hearts are open to the magic of the holiday. We have had many discussions about Christ and Santa this year. As a parent, navigating this topic can be cumbersome. The boys have settled on an understanding of Santa is an accessible representation of the gift givers that came to Christ at this birth. We discuss it is fun to have Santa and snowmen as decorations but the important key to remember is that Christ was born. Belle is still smitten with Santa, and for now, that is ok. She loves her Savior and as she learns and grows, I believe her understanding will expand.
I have struggled with the Christmas spirit as my thoughts are fixed on the wedding arrangements. Obviously Abete and I are excited about the wedding. However, we agree that next year will be better because we won't be distracted with all the planning. When I am feeling stressed and our conversations begin to get muddled with challenges, Abete is so wonderful to distract me with the scriptures.
Each night he encourages us to read. I climb in bed and he goes out in the cold to read in his truck. Some nights we read more than others, yet each day it is my favorite part of the day. We are bogged down in Alma and last night I asked him if we will even be out of it by the time we marry. With great confidence he just replied, "I am sure we will be in Heleman." I am learning much from Alma. He was a great teacher and loved his fellow man. I have never read the Book of Mormon. I have started, oh, hundreds of times. Betz gift to me this Christmas season is giving me the gospel. He has given me a new understanding and relationship with my savior. I ask Betz so many questions about the gospel, I am sure he questions how I could have been born and raised in the church. (I wonder this myself.) We have a rough road ahead of us. I am distinctly aware of the challenges we will face together, yet I am more at peace than ever before.
So, this holiday season, I am grateful for the challenges ahead and confidant, as I continue to learn and love my Savior, all will be well. I am grateful most for relationships. The relationship I have and want to strengthen with my siblings and parents, with my three children, with the two children I have yet to meet in Fiji, that have already entered my heart, with the women in my ward, with the new friends I am meeting through Abete and the culture I am captivated by, and ultimately I am grateful and excited to cultivate a forever relationship with Abete as we draw closer to and develop our relationship with our Savior.
Happy Holidays! May we all find the Peace and Love our Savior exemplified.

No comments: