Thursday, October 2, 2008

Keaton's Walk

On Tuesday Taron had scouts after school and I was worried Keaton would be locked out of the house. (Temporarily Keaton is on overload to Syringa while Belle and Taron go to Edahow.) While I was at work I kept calling home to see when Keaton got there but there was never an answer. Finally when I got through, it was Taron on the other end. Immediatley I ask if Keaton made it home and he said he had but the door was locked and just sat on the stairs when he got there. But then Taron tells me he had only been there a few minutes since he had missed the bus and walked home from school. What!!! That is 2 miles away. When I get home you can imagine my conversation with Keaton.

So finally I get home and I ask Keaton what happened.
"Mom, I was going to the bathroom and missed the bus."
I can not believe this. My Keaton...the child who doesn't like to walk anywhere. My 8 year old baby boy.
"Keaton, why didn't you go to Grandma Janie's?" (She lives 4 houses from the school.)
"OH"
"Or call me from inside the school, or walk to Grandma Barb's, or stop at grandma's work (just on Hiline) or go to Belle's day care (a few blocks away)?"
The questions were pouring out of my mouth faster than Keaton could process them.
"Keaton, why didn't you stop at the hotel when you passed me?"
"Mom, I went the church way."
"What, that means you crossed a busy street. How did you do that?"
With a look of DUH! He says, "Uh, I pushed the button."
Ok, parents, I know Keaton is getting bigger and more capable everyday but all I could think of was this:
  1. I know he is 8 but I still see him as my little toddler just learning to walk. My baby crossing a pretty busy road just was really hard for me to be comfortable with. Rememebr he was alone!!!
  2. I don't even want to cross Pocatello Creek at that intersection. It is crazy there.

I wanted to cry and I was burting with pride. Keaton showed he is more than capable of making a choice. He knew he needed to get home and instead of making someone else fix his problem, he just started walking home. I love that boy. When all was said and done, I don't particulary want Keaton making that journey again alone but if needs be, I know he can figure things out. Way to go Keaton! Attached is a little map of the route Keaton took. Once he crossed Pocatello Creek and headed up Alameda to Monte Vista the road is up hill.

I did take advantage of his determination to inform him that since he made that walk all proud of himself he could never complain when we go for a walk again. I know he can do it and most important, HE KNOWS HE CAN DO IT.


http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-hq4AebawE9sl18z4fsGX

2 comments:

Sandy N said...

Hey there how are you? I was wondering what your plans are for when you come to Portland? If you get a chance to call me my #is 9716783913 then maybe we can figure out a way we can meet up. I couldnt remember if you are coming this week or next weekend? I will talk to you soon.

Five Alive said...

Way to go Keaton! Tara, you did great, I know it can be overwheleming to watch our children grow and realize they are capable of making their own choices. As scary as that was as a mom that Keaton walked all that way home, you have done a great job raising him. He didn't get scared or upset he just followed the rules for safety in crossing that scary and dangerous street and made it home. Way to go, your a good mom!!
I would be more inclined to complain to the school. The bus system really stinks, they don't give children time to use the restroom after class and still catch the bus.. if enough of us parents complain then maybe we can get them to change the schedule to add a few extra precuious minutes so something like that doesn't happen again.