Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Activities


I love the colors of the fall.




























Here we all are at the huge pumpkin. What a great time we had in the corn maze.
















































































I am learning so much from this man that is sharing his time with me and my children. I had been feeling down this weekend because his birthday was on the 22 and we could not spend it together. We had planned to see each other and celebrate over the weekend but he ended up having to work. I was crushed, as he seemed to be as well. Sunday I went to Mom and Dad's for family dinner and felt like a part of me was missing. Strange. I wasn't ready to feel this way. Then Sunday night around 10:00 pm I get a phone call. He is still on location but his supervisor is giving them 24 hours off. He tells me as soon as he gets back to Vernal he is heading my way. At 1:00 a.m. he calls me and is on his way. He drove all night and arrived just after 6 in the morning. I was so happy.
Monday evening was wonderful. All the family activities and memories we made. As the evening came to a close I started to realize something. Let's see if I can explain this.
I have been Alpha dog for five years now. Everything I do is planned and implemented by me and only me. So we walk in the door from Walmart with ready to carve pumpkins. I am already making a list in my head of all the things we need to get out for the carving process. When to my surprise, I look over at the COUNTER, not the table-designated carving area, and see Betz already hacking into his pumpkin. WHAT! That was not on my list of approved areas. And I have not been able to get out the bowls, wash cloths, knives, spoons and garbage. My prep work was skipped over. PAUSE for processing.
I found myself getting upset. Funny thing is I hate to carve pumpkins, but have always done it because the kids wanted to do it. I sat a pouted for a minute then realized, Tara, get over it. I thought I could do something I wanted to do instead. See, I have always had to do these things and now there is someone else to do them. And really what difference does it make if my list is not followed. I decided to make rice crispy treats while they carved pumpkins. It was wonderful. I had time to do what I wanted to do but was still with my kids while they did what they wanted. Betz thank you!! I ..... I..... I love you! I am so grateful to have you in my life. I am learning so much about myself and the ways I can change with someone in my life. I am sure this will be hard but I am willing to go down this road. Scared to death. But everyday is beautiful. Thank for loving my kids. Thanks for loving me. And thank you for being patient as I learn to let you in my life.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Awesome jack-o-lanterns!! I've never been too skilled at the carving.

Five Alive said...

Wonderful photos.. thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Unknown said...

Doesn't it feel good to let go of some of the control? Okay, maybe it doesn't feel good initially, but eventually, it is going to feel great. (That is what I keep telling myself!)