Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What?


Isn't it amazing how we can say a simple phrase and it has one meaning to the speaker but then is received in a completely different way? Last night I was rushing out the door to go meet with the Bishop as Taron was trying to tell me a story. As I ran down the stairs to the door, I turned and looked up at Taron and said, "Tell me when I get back."


His response seemed so out of place. I knew I could not listen to his story right then but I wanted to hear it when I could give him my full attention.


With a touch of attitude and a slight head tilt he said, "But won't you already know?"


HUH!! All I could think was of course I won't know, I need you to tell me the story. I was confused. And I just looked at him with a deer in headlights look.


I responded, "I won't know, you have to tell me."

He looked at me and said, "Mom, won't you know when you get back?"


Oh. Now I get it. I love that boy and how he thinks. All I could say was, "Yes, Taron, you are right. I will know when I get back."


And with that I left the house smiling. Thinking of my amazing 10 year old and how words/phrases mean different things to different people, reminded me how much I love language. It is fun to play with words and meaning with Taron.

1 comment:

J.J. said...

Found You--you stalker!!!:) Your blog is so cute. It was fun chatting with you tonight. Congrats on your engagement! --JaNae