Today I had the opportunity of spending a little bit of time driving in the car alone with Keaton. Having three kids this almost never happens. As we drove around, I found myself feeling overwhelmingly drawn to the stories Keaton had to tell. I listened. He actually is a remarkable young man. Taking our relationship out of the calculation and I believe Keaton would be a human being I would want to get to know. He is humurous, complimentary, witty, kind and articulate. He really is wise beyond his years. As we drove I had to tell him how I was feeling.
"Keaton, I want you to know something. I am your mother and I love you with all my heart. But, you know what, even if I was just a person you met, I would think you are an absolute wonderful human being. I just want you to know that.""Thanks, Mom. No one has ever said that to me before. And I feel good cause you said it." His face just glowed.
Three thoughts. First, how have I never told him that. I know I have BUT to my son, in his reality, this was the firsts time. Second, I know other people feel the same way about him and I know he has heard compliments before but maybe the negative comments linger longer than the positive. Third, do I tell those I care about not just that I love them but the reasons I like them as a person. What is it that makes these people stand out in my heart as wonderful people. I think we all need to hear it. Maybe I have not been good at telling people I are about how amazing they are.
Keaton, you are absolutely an amazing young man. Your heart is pure and your strength lifts me to greater heights. Your simple truths are all I need. Thank you for holding the door open for me. Thank you for putting your arms around me and telling me how beautiful I am. You share your love of adventure and life with all those around you. I pray you never stop knowing I believe in you. All my love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment