Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless America

Yes, yet another election day blog. But I can't go peacefully into the night without saying this.

Ever since the first time I voted, election day is quite emotional for me. The idea that I can enter a polling center, sign my name to register and then take a ballot, fill it out and never fear for my life is absolutely one of the greatest blessings of this great country. Only a few years ago, my gender was not even able to vote. In places, people were turned away because of the color of their skin or the corrupt intentions of those in power. There are nations were just for approaching a polling center you could be shot, or fear your family will be injured because you wanted to cast a ballot. On tv,I have seen armed guards watching voters in unstable nations. I do not fear my vote will cost my my life.

Thank you to all those who made this possible. For the women who fought for suffrage. For the blacks who fought for equality. For our forefathers who fought for our freedom. Thank you to all who have laid down their lives to insure the changing of the President need not involve a full military guard. Thank you to those who believe this is the greatest nation and fight to keep us free.

My prayer is that our great nation will continue to guarantee us these freedoms. I pray for our leadership. I pray now more than ever, we will stand for what we believe in and keep this nation safe. I pray we never lose the profound blessing of casting our vote.

1 comment:

Sandy N said...

It was a great election... Even if it all didnt turn out the way I wanted it too. It was great to see the participation of the voters. It was great to see our country unite. What a great country we live in!
Love ya