Monday, September 8, 2008

Keaton's Baptism

Ok maybe not as reverent as he should have been. But he did look like Elvis.
Me and my baby. WOW!
Keaton Russell with Uncle Russell
Those boys are the best!
Keaton with Grandma Contreras

Before we headed into the church. What a handsome boy!



Me and my crew.



Keaton with his father, Stephen.




Saturday was a very special day for my little family. My beautiful Keaton chose to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and follow the example of Jesus Christ. He is my example. His spirit is so pure and sure. The morning started out as a struggle to get the kids ready. I had all these dreams of waking up and the kids cooperatively preparing for the event. Wishful thinking. They all were slow and I had to continually encourage them. My tension was getting elevated and even if the still small voice had tried to speak to me I was yelling to much to hear it. Then I realized what I was doing. What sort of an example am I setting for my children? I said a quiet prayer to my Father and put a smile on my face. We managed to get out the door on time and I kept the radio off in the car as we drove to the church. I talked to Keaton about the importance of the day and he was confident in telling me that although today was important, his family was the most important thing to him.







Oh my son. You are a choice spirit and I am overjoyed to be your mother. Each day I see you trying to achieve and believe. You love your Father in Heaven and he loves you.







As I sat a few rows behind Keaton in the chapel I could not help but feel like a spectator in his life. How soon will he go to the temple with a choice spirit and I will only be his mother off to the side watching with joy and a happy heart? His face lit up as he saw each member of his family enter the chapel. Of course the Contreras's had to be the last to arrive. There were so many people there that love him. Even his Aunt Leah and Aunt Kathy, on his dads side, came to support him and they are not members. He is an example to all those around him. His primary teacher was there and Bishop and Brother Parkin our home teacher. Even the grandma of a friend of his was there from our ward.







Although I was conflicted with Stephen performing the baptism, Keaton wanted him to do it. I am grateful that he has done the things required of him to do this. Taron was not able to have that opportunity. Uncle Russell confirmed him a member of the church in a beautiful blessing. I am reminded how wonderful my family is. You know as I sat in the chapel waiting for each of my siblings and their families to arrive, I wondered if this is what it would be like in the next life. Will we all make it? Will anyone look around waiting for me to arrive? Will I make it and be waiting for the rest of my family? I pray we all will be there together. I pray I can make the choices in my life to be worthy to be in the Celestial kingdom in the next life. I want to be surrounded by my beautiful family and all the generations to come.







Keaton, you are my light.

4 comments:

Sandy N said...

Wow I wish I could find words to express my feelings like you do! You have such a way with words that it feels like I am right there feeling what you feel! So what is the latest with your family? Where is everyone living? Is Aaron living in Idaho? How is everything? Love you

Unknown said...

Sandy,
Me, Russell, Maria all live in pocatello. Aaron is in Moscow. Bernie lives in Burley and everyone else is still here. Manuel is back from boot camp and in his senior year at Highland. We are doing well! Love you, Tara

Sandy N said...

I live about 10 miles west of portland. It would be great if we could get together.

Sandy N said...

Steven looks ecstatic in the picture. LOL just kidding. TYhanks for the update of you fam. You will have to tell them all Hi for me. Also keep in touch about your trip here that weekend. Jason (my stepson) might be flying in that weekend as well.