Tuesday, March 8, 2011

LadyBug Celebration

So maybe I went just a little overboard.....but we sure were in need of a celebration.  And celebrate we did.  Believe me I could no have done it all myself.  My sister Sharen made Olaya's tutu.  My friend Clydene made Olaya a party dress.  My neighbor Erin made her amazing cake.  Everyone helped with food (all red or black colored).  My mom brought everything for cookie decorating like a ladybug.  My dad ran and picked up the balloons.  My friend Reagan went and picked up the pizza for me and showed up to help decorate.  My friend Kelly helped me decorate but mostly cut up my black and red fruit for a fruit bowl.  My little sisters hung up all the pictures around the room.  The boys did anything and everything I asked.  My little brothers helped wherever needed as we decorated.  I could not have done it without everyone.

With hours and hours dedicated to the planning of this event, it all came off without a hitch.  As kids and parents arrived, I had a coloring craft with a ladybug on it for the kids to work on as they waited (to keep them from getting restless).  In a corner I had a movie of Olaya's first year playing (beautifully took me over 20 hours to put together).  The room was entirely black and red.  One corner had the cookie decorating station and then an area for food and then a table with the cake.

I know. I know.  Nothing Olaya will remember.  But I will.  And she will see the pictures one day and know that her mother and siblings made the day very special for her.  


Even now, I can't believe how quickly these last 12 months have gone.  Knowing these precious babies grow up so fast, I have tried diligently to savor every last drop and still, I feel it just slips away.  Only days ago she depended on me for everything.  Now she is running.  She if fully weaned.  She loves to play with her brothers and sisters.  Twelve months changes so many things.  

It is great how my sisters all enjoy playing with my girls.


Never a dull moment.

I know I am not the only one that loves this little bug.  I am grateful beyond measure to have my parents close.  There is never a day I don't think about how lucky I am to call my mother my best friend.  She watches out for me.  With her busy schedule, her great efforts to make memories and be with her family never ceases to amaze me.  One of my favorite things to do is sit back and watch her love on my babies.

After our dinner of pepperoni with only a little sprinkling of olives pizza (closest thing I could find to looking like a ladybug), black and red jello jigglers, green salad with cranberries (a little bit of a stretch but it did have red), deviled eggs (white, nice contrast), bread stick (also white), and fruit bowl of strawberries, blackberries and blueberries,  we sang to Olaya with a cake with no candles (I can't remember everything and the first birthday she won't remember anyway).  Then we cut into the most amazing cakes.















One cake was made out of rice crispy treats.  The kids (and adults) had fun with that.

Olaya was a little hesitant with making a mess.  She wanted a fork to push around and pick at her ladybug cake.



When all was said and done, I needed this day to celebrate our Olaya.  I needed to celebrate the purity, joy and love she has brought into our home.  The kids work so hard everyday to help me.  They needed a day to play, eat and relax.  We needed a day to thank our friends and family that have sustained us through this year of transitions.  I needed this day.  I needed to honor my role as a mother through the celebration of the one year anniversary of the day I took my mind, body and spirit on the most glorious journey.  The process took 9 months.  But over the course of six hours, my body and Olaya went through the process of separation.  The process is painful and at times I thought I could not endure it.  But as I turned to my Father in Heaven, called upon the strength of all the women in my life and recognized my role in a miracle, I was able to endure to the end resulting in an angel being places in my arms.  It is that journey that gives me strength today to endure and continue on. 


Being mother to Taron, Keaton, Isabella and Olaya is enough reason for me to celebrate every day.

No comments: