So last night was a test of my intelligence. It was 6:50 p.m. and I am pulling up to an fueling island at Maverik and I am suppose to pick up Taon at 7 from football. I happen to be driving my dad's Buick Lucerne and have never fueled it before. I jump out of the car and go to the gas cap to begin fueling. Well, unlike my suburban the Buick does not have a lip where you can easily open the cover. So immediately I get back in the car and look for a button or knob that will pop it open. Nothing!
I ask the guy at the pump next to me if he has any idea. I quickly tell him that I am driving my father's car and he has mine and this is the first time I am fueling it. I don't want him to think i stole it. Of course driving around with a child in a car seat usually is not the first thing you see when someone is driving a hot vehicle.
Anyway, he looks around and then his wife comes over. We are all stumped. I tell them normally I come across as fairly intelligent. They said they did also. Then, brilliant Tara I think to look in the owner's manual where the wife and I skim the table of contents until we see Fuel 327. I turn to the page feeling like I am on an intense treasure hunt, determined to find the prize. I reach the page and read things like optimum vehicle performance and 3.8L V6 enginne. The topics covering the next few pages read, California Fuel, Additives, Fuels in Foreign Countries. Nothing that can help me. One more page turn. Filling the Tank stands out. It reads:
The tethered fuel cap is located behind a hinged fuel door on the driver's side of the vehicle. (Well no kidding Sherlock, that is why I am reading this stupid book. I found the hinged door.)
To open the fuel door (getting closer), apply pressure in the center of the rear edge of the fuel door and it will pop open.
This woman I have known for 3 minutes and I, look at each other like we won the lottery. She turns and runs to the hinged fuel door and places her hand to it. Magically it opened. We all laugh and I comment, all the money I spent on a college education and I can't even open the fuel door.
A few minutes later and laughing light heartedly to myself I race down the road to Taron's practice field. We want to get on the road soon because we are heading to Idaho Falls for a Chuckars game with some friends we are meeting up there.
I ask the guy at the pump next to me if he has any idea. I quickly tell him that I am driving my father's car and he has mine and this is the first time I am fueling it. I don't want him to think i stole it. Of course driving around with a child in a car seat usually is not the first thing you see when someone is driving a hot vehicle.
Anyway, he looks around and then his wife comes over. We are all stumped. I tell them normally I come across as fairly intelligent. They said they did also. Then, brilliant Tara I think to look in the owner's manual where the wife and I skim the table of contents until we see Fuel 327. I turn to the page feeling like I am on an intense treasure hunt, determined to find the prize. I reach the page and read things like optimum vehicle performance and 3.8L V6 enginne. The topics covering the next few pages read, California Fuel, Additives, Fuels in Foreign Countries. Nothing that can help me. One more page turn. Filling the Tank stands out. It reads:
The tethered fuel cap is located behind a hinged fuel door on the driver's side of the vehicle. (Well no kidding Sherlock, that is why I am reading this stupid book. I found the hinged door.)
To open the fuel door (getting closer), apply pressure in the center of the rear edge of the fuel door and it will pop open.
This woman I have known for 3 minutes and I, look at each other like we won the lottery. She turns and runs to the hinged fuel door and places her hand to it. Magically it opened. We all laugh and I comment, all the money I spent on a college education and I can't even open the fuel door.
A few minutes later and laughing light heartedly to myself I race down the road to Taron's practice field. We want to get on the road soon because we are heading to Idaho Falls for a Chuckars game with some friends we are meeting up there.
The kids had a fabulous time and I don't think they watched any of the game. Their attention was running around chasing each other and trying to catch foul balls. I am certain the highlight of their night was not the quality time we spent driving in the car all the way up there but rather running around the bases at the end of the night. They are the best. It was so worth the drive to watch them laugh and play.
I am yet again humbled by the days events and the love of those three.
No comments:
Post a Comment